找回密码
 注册
查看: 2012|回复: 7

Bank of Canada cuts key rate in coordinated move

[复制链接]
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-10-8 10:17 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
TORONTO (Reuters) - The Bank of Canada unexpectedly cut its key interest rate by 50 basis points to 2.50 percent on Wednesday in a coordinated effort with other central banks to help calm ailing financial markets.
8 e* W% O( i# K- i" K! T, o8 b6 ~- m, w$ @
In a statement that left the door open to further rate cuts, the bank said the intensification of the global financial crisis was impacting all countries and that conditions in global financial markets have worsened considerably.
, N4 u5 I+ c% `1 g/ C
5 x% s! r8 t  j* d% c5 m"In recent weeks conditions in global financial markets have deteriorated sharply, the U.S. economy has weakened further, and commodity prices have fallen abruptly," the Bank of Canada said in a statement.9 o2 E# [- P7 q/ ]1 G$ A5 E

$ W- M- p' S/ Z3 g2 g/ L  T"As a result of these developments, credit conditions in Canada have tightened significantly, despite the relative health of our financial institutions."
' F( d- c, c4 W, ?! H2 E/ U' |$ {; ]+ P- |3 P* j
The decision to lower its key rate ahead of its scheduled interest rate announcement on October 21 came along with rate cuts from central banks across the world, including the U.S. Federal Reserve, European Central Bank and Bank of England. China also lowered benchmark rates.
' i8 J& _% }% N# @- D; g/ ]2 [  Y& _9 V
The Bank of Canada said weaker growth in the United States and other key trading partners will increase the drag on the domestic economy coming from net exports.) O3 ^. _' y: S, o$ n

. O/ {4 ?! |/ D8 O: ]' w7 mIt also said the recent easing of the Canadian dollar will help cushion the effects of the weaker global outlook on the domestic economy but will not completely offset them.
6 h4 o# E& G! V; ?1 E
5 e: v/ T# ?# M3 ^) ^, s7 |  t- Y0 dThe rate cut, which marks the bank's biggest interest rate cut since back-to-back 50-basis-points cuts in March and April, marks the first time since September 2001 that the Bank of Canada has moved on interest rates outside of its fixed announcement dates, which were implemented in 2000.$ W% r0 `. t6 H9 t
. Y* h' W4 c9 _
The Bank of Canada also said it will continue to monitor economic and financial developments, along with the evolution of risks, to judge whether further action may be required to achieve its 2 percent inflation target over the medium term.
* J* Y+ e; y: G. R; S5 W
0 X: z' p  c, o, R+ YThe coordinated central bank action follows several weeks of carnage on financial markets around the globe, including massive losses on stock markets in the past week.
9 \) I- p2 h8 ^& }" [# j0 w+ C, ~; a. ~) W5 Z
"I think the central banks will be watching to see if this does anything to stabilize confidence and improve the money markets," said Doug Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets. "If not, I think they are probably going to be willing to cut again if needed."
4 \1 j6 S9 \: T$ W) K- }7 z
0 W. G* v; L$ lThe Canadian dollar rose immediately after the bank's rate announcement, climbing as high as C$1.0997 to the U.S. dollar, or 90.93 U.S. cents, from C$1.1110 to the U.S. dollar, or 90.01 U.S. cents." e& v" B3 S" n! R* {7 E
1 |( x: A" f& o: F& L" Q
The Bank of Canada said its decision to cut rates will provide "timely and significant support" to the Canadian economy but that it will continue to assess whether more rate cuts would be required.
- M; {0 @2 e5 X1 P, l
2 C) x" \0 Q( f' Q- i- `: KSome market experts felt the latest easing may be enough.# r, l+ |( X7 T: w4 F1 i: `, U: Z) N
! X+ I- e8 ]4 ~% q3 }' @1 Y) z5 ?
"Given our growth outlook that things will improve as we go forward we don't think there's any need for further ease depending on how well this is received," said Craig Wright, chief economist at Royal Bank of Canada. "One hopes this is well received given that most central banks are on the same page."3 }, I4 g- p( q0 s% N
& r  u) h- D& b% x. L7 {- [- W
(Reporting by Frank Pingue. Additional reporting by Jennifer Kwan and Scott Anderson, Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-8 10:19 | 显示全部楼层
Let's see if banks will lower the prime rate or not this time.
鲜花(87) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2008-10-8 10:22 | 显示全部楼层
it should.
: I2 Q2 c$ h! r1 G* u! |1 b8 R, q: r* D* M2 `
time to borrow for investment.  Could turn into good tax deductible tool depending on what you invest in.
大型搬家
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-8 10:48 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队 追求完美
In the recent rate move, the banks are more hesitated to act accordingly.  Usually, it takes few hours for banks to adjust prime rate following the central bank's move. In the last rate cut, the banks waited almost a day to announce the prime rate cut. Hopefully, they will announce the prime rate change sooner this time.
鲜花(49) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-10-8 11:04 | 显示全部楼层
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2008-10-8 11:58 | 显示全部楼层
The commercial banks only cut 25 basis points, not 50 basis points. It’s better than nothing.
鲜花(87) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2008-10-8 12:52 | 显示全部楼层
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
weird. but pretty much expected. most commercial banks are now really tight on money ,  with the 800 billion dollar involvement of CDS, they need to pump up their reserve. the only way is to hike interest.
鲜花(87) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2008-10-8 12:54 | 显示全部楼层
LIBOR transactions signalling reluction of inter bank swap. that was the main problem why stock collaps on recent black monday. Bye bye HRE.....
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-9-24 06:20 , Processed in 0.120165 second(s), 15 queries , Gzip On, APC On.