注册
查看: 2175|回复: 1

圣诞节去加州的死亡之谷camping?

[复制链接]
鲜花(13) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-12-18 12:58 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
坛子里有没有人有兴趣啊?活动介绍在下面。+ y6 b# C9 F6 P0 s- Q+ a
我会跟UA的outdoor club去,本来还有个朋友和我一起去,但是他的美国签证在出发前拿不到,所以必须得转让这个位置了。如果你有兴趣,可以email我: chenyuan6@hotmail.com
$ c* Q- P; E# Q9 Q" u+ \
* C& X, A: X5 q9 m7 c3 n( C, s谢谢~
9 e. L0 @8 z2 m, Z* Z0 z/ N
* v' q! \' y; r- b* h  ]! h) K
* g$ C9 M+ K, T# u2 l- i
" @' G) C) v* k3 Z
* N% D& z' t1 A! J" l: ~3 B; [4 Y/ g2 O
New Years in Death Valley, California
7 _: W0 P. f, X8 Y, f- p-Info Sheet-
3 i1 u8 ~" |3 O! D* n# O
$ V; J, r2 F& F - v& N7 d9 i" {/ ^. |3 S
/ h( D6 a+ L, F. q; Y- W: m1 M& T2 N
Don’t have any plans for your Christmas break?  Want to get out of town and away from snow and Edmonton’s brutal winter?  The UAOC has just the trip for you!  
8 \4 |) T3 \" U; u- @( F6 o' o7 K+ X6 z8 L
We’ll start off with an epic night in Las Vegas, followed by a week in Death Valley National Park, California.  Death Valley is one of hottest, driest and lowest (altitude) places on earth and one of the crown jewels of the United State’s Parks system.  , |& G) S; o. A- n

4 P0 F3 ~0 ~: ]% v- [) ySo don’t be left with nothing to do this Christmas break, instead spend it with 48 awesome new friends, exploring one of the most stunning National Parks in the States.  
- [5 A0 V2 E# k0 A# C0 Y- r5 V: q6 D: k0 Q) p% O: a$ q# w
Cost: $470  * J8 {; P9 L9 C8 q

- Y& ]" G- z' I4 Q9 O6 ZNote on cost:  The Ski Club’s 5 day New Years Trip to BC costs $440!  For $30 more you can go to California!
- a7 M% `# B( a% u0 E6 u- J9 X) \
What is included?  Private Coach transportation down to California and around the park for day trips, accommodation for 7 nights (camping), Camp stove fuel (propane, white gas etc.), Firewood, Park Passes, Health insurance, Prizes from MEC and more!
! K5 j8 X0 s; X" V2 W9 ?# `$ \: u
& k! B$ G3 x+ ]: `+ M) OHow to join:5 C, a3 a2 P: h! v. _3 \
•        Be a member of the outdoors club 8 [) E' t! h8 F+ h  @  O
•        Payment in Full $470(cash or cheque addressed to "U of A Outdoors Club" ) 3 U! i$ B: J+ k& X! Z6 |# ~, e
•        Alberta Health Care number or medical insurance number and company.1 n6 @6 E8 q! J0 S# N/ i; t: F
•        Names and phone numbers of TWO emergency contacts.
) a: x5 J) G* x8 G7 A$ z# x' t•        Any medical conditions you have in case of emergency
( P2 A+ Y% ]* n, |$ t. P. V•        Sign ups will begin on Tuesday, October 21st at 6 PM in the Students' Group Lounge, located in the basement of SUB, and then in the office afterwards, if there are still spots…
3 M4 O& D$ Q) S+ Y•        You will also have to sign a waiver which must be witnessed by an executive member. This means you cannot bring in a pre signed waiver for us. 6 r2 F- b$ g; h
•        A drivers license and birth certificate - OR - passport are required to cross the border. Bring this for signup.
/ x0 f% K% a; r& z2 o! m# P8 z6 q6 W9 D
Trip Itinerary
+ {& z+ ^9 Y4 D+ D! p2 E, A7 V, |" V- F+ `' u
December 26 4pm: Leave Edmonton.  Everyone must be on Campus, ready to go by 3:30pm so we can pack the bus.1 W! K2 o; x2 \$ [

+ p$ x: b0 ^/ s7 W3 ]4 R; ^4 y7 CDecember 27 ~6pm:  Arrive in Las Vegas.  The bus will park and everyone will have around 6 hours to explore Las Vegas and get their fill of Sin City before heading off to the desert.  * A4 D! Q3 C$ i( p+ q9 s

' z. U% T  C) y% Q9 D7 MDecember 28 ~3am:  Arrive at campsite in Death Valley.  We will be spending the remainder of the trip at Furnace Creek Campground.
; C, U& {: O% V: g3 c2 c0 T! r- }7 u+ z! y! G- G1 B
December 28-January 2:  Explore Death Valley!  Spend New Years Eve with 50 awesome Outdoors Club members in the middle of Death Valley!  / J% Z4 b3 g! g, e' t  a, R3 g
5 [  R( U$ K; X! V
January 3, 9pm:  Leave Campsite and head home.# z! @/ \% W6 h$ j$ p! Y
$ Q9 b# q) d7 g0 \
January 4, ~2pm:  Arrive in Edmonton and get dropped off at U of A Campus.& {9 Y* v7 n% M$ e5 u) F
6 w, F. n" g9 [' [' d5 G9 T
Activities
# ~0 d* K  w7 K4 D1 K1 S3 y
8 p. P* y2 [+ O. g6 o# @- R+ pBus: movies, games, draw prizes. Get to know your fellow campers!- C# |3 z% K, O5 l; v- J% }2 {
- w, x) X4 Z( s
Las Vegas:  Sightseeing, eating huge, cheap buffet dinners, shows, gambling, drinking (the last two, only for those of you who are over 21 years old)0 ^7 C# b6 _( j# d' b+ Y; ?8 [' |

. U' K( f7 ]: c0 K3 m  nDeath Valley:  Camping, hiking, backpacking (you can backcountry camp anywhere in the park), sightseeing, enjoying warm weather, campfires, swimming in an outdoor swimming pool (either at the hotel or info center near the campground), partying etc.  
* _- Z1 c! U* N8 I
9 Y/ ]9 y3 d7 @; H( IWeather/ g6 i% \; Q0 [! t7 \
' T) `5 L; R' V
December/January is THE best time to visit Death Valley.  We manage to avoid the sweltering heat of summer (43-46 C Averages) and instead get away from Edmonton’s winter and spend New Years with the balmy average temperature of 19 C.  Note: highs have been known to reach 26 C over New Years in Death Valley.  Sun bathing anyone??
5 d1 K4 R" ~; Y& a
. a, v% [0 R1 V7 z) K) z" q7 _$ b% F( BMore info on Death Valley' u. @$ C' B# [  u

8 P& c, |5 ~: h* ]2 u  ~There is a ton of great info on Death Valley on the internet; a few of the best links follow.  Make sure you check out the wikipedia article, Places of interest in the Death Valley area (second link under Sights and Activities.
$ g: ?6 ]8 Z- |6 p' Y2 L# ?. Q
, Y3 a' l! n$ P2 ?2 AGeneral Death Valley info and photos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley http://wikitravel.org/en/Death_Valley http://www.nps.gov/deva/
: q- [; z: d; K2 T+ J
/ a" R2 N2 L5 t. zSights and Activities: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/things2do.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pla ... e_Death_Valley_area
+ P: E: }( g9 u
. I% l0 G3 M6 N) {) v- {
  o7 ]3 Y% i: w8 d7 \' z; z- v2 _

) K8 Q+ u  g& e7 ^9 ]! R$ b( GMore Trip Info/Guidelines: Z/ L4 i7 T+ X; ~7 J9 _, ]

e3 b& ^: `, Z" w& s0 W: J7 r4 a* n  ?3 {& N* n7 h
Documentation
, L! |( E3 U% _/ c•        Everyone must have a birth certificate AND driver’s license, or a passport to cross the border. Please have this on you during our long bus rides; we do not want to look through the luggage compartment of the bus for your passport!
$ n: v6 _- a% J/ Z•        Health Insurance: this is included in the trip cost, and once we give you the paper, take care to hang on to it
# }) X$ A2 U" ?$ j! R# x) v$ C* f•        Record the serial numbers of expensive items for insurance purposes.9 }. K: o6 J1 O$ j* z
•        Make photocopies of important I.D. and exchange with another person. A good idea is to leave photocopies and serial numbers with someone at home as well.% ~/ v) J2 S! G- M3 a  Z
2 ?) T7 ]+ R  S
Packing Rules
; v& x- m1 \4 {2 h7 V4 o8 w•        Limit: only one day pack and one larger bag (i.e. backpack or duffel bag). Please avoid ‘luggage’ such as suitcases. A backpack is best. Also, it must be neat; anything hanging off the side will make packing cumbersome, and stuff will fall out and get mixed up. Labeling is not a bad idea. 7 {& B+ r+ v2 W8 u
•        Bring what you immediately need with you in your daypack (passport!!!!), since there is no access to your main stowed bag during travel.+ r9 S8 m  L& {6 W$ F: L/ K8 W
•        Border crossings: no fresh fruit, vegetables, or meat. (Dried foods are ok.) No alcohol, drugs, Cuban cigars, etc. (Remember we will make a grocery stop once in California.) No fuel, such as for camping stoves. (The exec will purchase fuel once in California.)
% v5 M, A7 \3 u$ K! r) \6 B- M" o' A. A' d7 p3 L
Bus# B6 H* a" b: \- x" d, U7 v; i* j
•        Full-sized coach complete with DVD player and washroom. Feel free to bring some good movies for everyone to watch- K- l& |* K& g7 X& ?& q
•        Etiquette: respect the drivers, keep the bus clean, avoid speaking loudly when others are trying to sleep (including the drivers’ quarters at the back), return to the bus on time, allow extra time for packing (helping where appropriate), and please only urinate in the bus washroom (plenty of stops to do…otherwise), ]' W6 o0 G) P( X& }- L
* o5 A1 R  U9 l: x" h  ]1 P

" ^% v7 S& R; A7 `; U  Z! U- B% q5 I9 w5 jSuggested Personal Equipment List % `7 H7 J- C3 S8 j  w
•        Tent & stove (suggest arranging to share with other club members; use the mass e-mail list to coordinate). The club will provide some stoves, but there will be line ups.
: a4 a. |3 p8 Q- m•        Sleeping bag (three season)
& [6 ^0 c, G4 q•        Mat or Therm-a-Rest
4 r9 V" T8 j0 N9 U+ h' s: I3 \•        Pots, cup (for non-water drinks), dishes, utensils, dish rag, soap
# \0 _# g( s0 Z9 b- C•        Lots of socks (keep a fresh pair for the ride home)
- T+ [( y4 P- j/ x7 F9 s% u•        5 pairs of underwear (travel tip: you can turn them inside out to use again)
% H: J, [1 w8 ^/ B$ x•        Long underwear (top and bottom layer)
/ _) ~8 f1 @0 |" b•        1-2 pairs of shorts1 f! ^7 [* V0 F" U; q* ^
•        1-2 pairs of pants
* m4 k6 ]/ h+ c, }; r+ \" f•        3-4 t-shirts) w6 c" y4 ]6 T
•        1-2 long sleeved shirts* _! Q+ K: h# R; E1 E
•        1 warm sweater! l/ v6 M" ?  E1 A4 u( A
•        Jacket (it can get chilly at night). Waterproof is best.2 c; W' i; k" ^0 u
•        Toque and mitts (in general this is always a must!): l6 P9 k+ B# Z0 Q9 `3 L$ R8 C1 t
•        Ball cap, bandana, etc. for hiking/lounging: j; T" M8 _  M- A; ?
•        Swimsuit/trunks
1 P8 g! [; a7 G' u8 ?•        Towel
* v" l! ]2 R" B•        Hiking boots
! e1 }9 A+ r2 `/ x! V( F, |•        Camp shoes (sandals)5 v( ?% z  s! S/ u
•        Toiletry kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, razor, lip chap, etc.)" Z2 ~6 r! U+ F+ u. ~. I
•        Flashlight (headlamp is best). p9 S+ I5 x! p) ]" D
•        Small first aid kit (including blister treatment, any medicine)) ?4 |1 Z3 P. S- q; E4 m
•        Water bottles (enough for at least 2L of water).
- k& k$ X9 Q1 b•        Good knife, some rope
- I! h4 N; \* t- Q  e6 U•        Some duct tape and a small travel sewing kit
/ z+ k. ]& r- x6 Z7 V! h% w& z•        Whistle attached to your pack. (Gives a good loud call with little effort if you’re lost or hurt); v) D$ T5 a# o' T0 y8 J
•        Garbage bags & plenty of Zip-lock bags
$ M& ~* j% a, w. _1 C•        Sunglasses, sunscreen, maybe burn ointment
( ^# O$ \  t0 g" u& u•        Camera, film, batteries, etc.2 K$ X% a# z% A. p1 Q
•        Can opener# I* ^# W# y4 N
•        Try to pack some non-perishable food from Edmonton (i.e. stuff that is allowed to cross the border) in your big pack, since trying to fit everyone’s groceries on the bus is challenging.8 e9 q0 C/ \8 W" [, N' r* f# ]
•        Some paper/diary and pen/pencil/marker for keeping track of your stellar trip!
: q9 E0 d* o8 J( E, o' r* Z/ T  r8 T3 M3 U- }0 F( s
Bus ride suggestions* w) j2 i! [* B  j/ n7 y7 [
•        ID and some Canadian and American cash….aaaaannnnnd PASSPORT! 0 g: G, Q# V2 `% z9 W/ Q3 J- A
•        Earplugs, headband (to cover your eyes, change your ‘do’, etc.)! P# c, h8 i/ X% L8 Z, [" c8 D, W
•        Sunglasses and camera in your daypack, water, small bit of food to eat before the border
% B. S( @7 @( a•        Books/magazines/travel games (checkers, cards, etc.)
7 Y* V0 j6 L6 i( `( L•        Travel pillow & blanket (the bus can be chilly at times)* e, e5 _8 p. k, m; ^! y
•        Music
, e6 L5 G1 m+ _0 C" h•        Gum, travel toothbrush & paste, contact lens solution, hand sanitizer, etc.) q$ Z' T  Z2 a; r' u* C
3 v) T0 k! \3 A! |/ N  A: T
Food Suggestions
6 z2 ^5 U7 l# gBreakfast
9 K$ C! w1 r, L1 k0 F+ A) b1 J-instant oatmeal3 M% I; ~* ?# |$ m' d6 |1 ?& i
-bagels6 R) O) B( Z! J9 A' C2 C- z
-dried fruit7 D* `4 K8 U/ F; N5 k% x. @) ]! Y
-granola
  J3 {$ x* A, [" W-cereal and powdered milk' L. [5 @# c3 U& n+ ]5 _& A
-juice, hot chocolate, tea, etc.
( v2 x0 U1 f, g/ ]+ }6 n0 O0 `( ], T2 t
  T) Z$ N) e" F& JLunch
% r6 S7 A5 o8 d-sandwiches (peanut butter, cheese, hummus)
/ X3 ?" o- m& l  P/ d1 T-beef jerky( b9 s1 p4 \/ J  f
-hard sausage
# b* y: a/ R& [2 h3 t6 H-granola bars: K. s2 W) T8 c" ?0 I7 K
-high-energy trail mix for hiking. Adding chocolate chips is a nice treat!( `5 D; l  C& d9 m0 O9 I; X
-apples/oranges/dried fruit* [' p+ C/ k8 p: o
-cheese (lasts quite a while without refrigeration)
" ^6 r# D& F2 ?: ^; U9 `
4 h" D5 N0 K( f4 X# }" [Supper. R& F2 a. x; Y  J8 Q# E0 [
-pasta (pre-packaged dehydrated sauces are an idea)" i0 i' G9 E. A2 |" `% n8 T( f4 w
-rice
* v8 T, X4 y' K5 o-vegetarian chili
/ Z9 j+ s1 Y; ?* K2 M7 q-soup (canned, or pre-packaged dry soups)
* m) h) P3 ]! D+ ?$ ^# I2 F' ]-baked brown beans (high protein, low fat, great taste. I love ‘em!)
% o1 y; x/ ]. D- Z1 E  E5 V! |- Z8 l0 I2 i7 v1 b; g2 Q
Tips:
3 l! `7 P+ b& g3 ^* @9 P7 e•        Try to avoid items that require refrigeration : r9 Y" D, y9 T; E* ]
•        Dried fruit can be re-hydrated overnight in a water bottle and taste great in the morning. (Remember to try to equal your dried food to water ratio, or you may become constipated!)
% j/ B$ f! ^% r* |( B•        Powdered milk tastes better if left sitting overnight (but not where animals can reach!)7 T$ N3 o3 h! z% f6 b- j" G1 F0 d( b
•        Peanut butter and hummus make great lunch spreads
1 s+ M7 p" F" y/ C% A" \•        Dried sausage (available at Hickory Farms or IGA) is also great for lunch8 `* ^) L9 f3 i0 H. K# m
•        For supper, many companies offer instant meals that can be prepared by adding boiling water to a bag.  You can eat right out of the bag…no dishes!  MEC and Totem have the best selection' ?- l: c% _1 D* |, E% j
•        Lipton noodles and sauce make a quick and tasty meal
% g, n- B$ s7 _$ D2 k7 V: O$ N/ j•        Vegetarian chili is available at Superstore and many health food stores
8 \6 [3 Z) q# `# e5 ~5 G•        Drink lots of WATER! After exercising and sweating, you will need to replace the water and salt lost in sweating; trail mix, soup mixes, etc. are usually high in salt. Fruit juice is also very good.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2008-12-18 14:53 | 显示全部楼层
十月份刚去过,当时热死了,现在倒应该气候正好,不说这公园觉得一般,不是很有看头,但就是大,应该是美国最大的公园。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-7-4 14:36 , Processed in 0.179374 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On, APC On.