先转一个Times对这个研究的报道,后面给出这篇论文的链接,并转发了一小段结论部分。都是英文的,大家包涵,没时间翻译    U4 k8 m* H) R
. K7 n+ [  J( v- n& O+ g
From The Times0 b! h( I$ v0 k' z4 t# l  ?2 [: W
September 27, 20059 s9 b! t! \" s& j2 r9 U) u* k& u
3 j7 H) k0 x: y2 C1 A: [( f8 n
Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side'8 i, G2 v* E) d5 o
* V3 a+ n& d+ }5 K& ^
By Ruth Gledhill, Religion Correspondent
& J& p1 T1 I9 X& r* }. khttp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article571206.ece
6 m+ b4 K  z* S8 L" W6 v7 d$ g" @, f: R3 n
RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.
: Z/ ?- \* s8 \7 j
8 n3 X9 N) r3 X+ n- H8 Z% dAccording to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems. $ M4 I3 q+ A9 S7 S
8 k5 `+ o/ C" `# O4 H
The study counters the view of believers that religion is necessary to provide the moral and ethical foundations of a healthy society. ' w5 C! M# T: W: S: O7 a" h

3 U; L, H+ n8 ~2 eIt compares the social performance of relatively secular countries, such as Britain, with the US, where the majority believes in a creator rather than the theory of evolution. Many conservative evangelicals in the US consider Darwinism to be a social evil, believing that it inspires atheism and amorality.
) c6 [/ o  n% V+ @3 R; R
6 u. N6 [# O& t) j9 B7 QMany liberal Christians and believers of other faiths hold that religious belief is socially beneficial, believing that it helps to lower rates of violent crime, murder, suicide, sexual promiscuity and abortion. The benefits of religious belief to a society have been described as its “spiritual capital”. But the study claims that the devotion of many in the US may actually contribute to its ills. . W+ p7 g* U5 H0 ~( S, z/ T1 |

. }1 q1 r) ^5 X: @1 U( k4 `* U6 W7 jThe paper, published in the Journal of Religion and Society, a US academic journal, reports: “Many Americans agree that their churchgoing nation is an exceptional, God-blessed, shining city on the hill that stands as an impressive example for an increasingly sceptical world. 0 S7 Z% x$ r% b+ R$ c6 z

+ o, y( P+ g. W8 W, ]+ y“In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies. 1 ]0 m: n# z/ l3 [5 _& R8 N
, l0 j3 {1 ^% x3 Y+ N+ C
“The United States is almost always the most dysfunctional of the developing democracies, sometimes spectacularly so.”
2 B' w0 M; Q" F
. z' u4 ?8 S) a, `7 LGregory Paul, the author of the study and a social scientist, used data from the International Social Survey Programme, Gallup and other research bodies to reach his conclusions.
1 u  r7 k- }) A  y0 B9 `8 Z* ^' R" ^- [6 {! K2 a5 m
He compared social indicators such as murder rates, abortion, suicide and teenage pregnancy. & T# U  f: {# c
9 a; `4 S- {& T, m* g( B5 a5 \/ \
The study concluded that the US was the world’s only prosperous democracy where murder rates were still high, and that the least devout nations were the least dysfunctional. Mr Paul said that rates of gonorrhoea in adolescents in the US were up to 300 times higher than in less devout democratic countries. The US also suffered from “uniquely high” adolescent and adult syphilis infection rates, and adolescent abortion rates, the study suggested. 5 c% h: u$ o$ \9 H' r+ ^7 S; v
% y2 b+ r# j- G& k
Mr Paul said: “The study shows that England, despite the social ills it has, is actually performing a good deal better than the USA in most indicators, even though it is now a much less religious nation than America.” 4 a  A- v9 P% X- P! ]8 k
/ W$ @) G$ m6 k: N/ n
He said that the disparity was even greater when the US was compared with other countries, including France, Japan and the Scandinavian countries. These nations had been the most successful in reducing murder rates, early mortality, sexually transmitted diseases and abortion, he added. 6 H2 k0 ?8 U6 y: ^4 M8 }% V

6 |" L; U& [0 k0 Q0 i9 M; `) _) S+ AMr Paul delayed releasing the study until now because of Hurricane Katrina. He said that the evidence accumulated by a number of different studies suggested that religion might actually contribute to social ills. “I suspect that Europeans are increasingly repelled by the poor societal performance of the Christian states,” he added.
# n$ e( K  o9 z* r: x
. |$ B5 a% o! v* U$ cHe said that most Western nations would become more religious only if the theory of evolution could be overturned and the existence of God scientifically proven. Likewise, the theory of evolution would not enjoy majority support in the US unless there was a marked decline in religious belief, Mr Paul said.
; n2 q% g% x* Z1 D0 ^, t
  u$ Y! s' A5 m“The non-religious, proevolution democracies contradict the dictum that a society cannot enjoy good conditions unless most citizens ardently believe in a moral creator. 4 ^9 p: Q' t/ F; P$ M; ^
& ^! }4 D. M4 z7 D+ S
“The widely held fear that a Godless citizenry must experience societal disaster is therefore refuted.”: W- S; q- s  S

- [0 B/ a. O5 l+ M, {---------------9 K# a1 q+ U0 V2 d( [( r
Gregory S. Paul 的论文发表在美国的《社会与宗教研究》上,Journal of Religion & Society. 2005;vol.7.4 r+ I  P) N% g3 O3 d1 m  I

- d6 o% A) k- ^全文可以从这个链接读到,这里我只copy他的结论部分 (又断章取义了哈! )。
$ ^+ U6 u% f! t7 b: z5 p- I$ O4 y
http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2005/2005-11.html& H+ I3 i3 ^5 [! B9 `/ [

& o9 ~  [# j# T1 LThe United States’ deep social problems are all the more disturbing because the nation enjoys exceptional per capita wealth among the major western nations (Barro and McCleary; Kasman; PEW; UN Development Programme, 2000, 2004). Spending on health care is much higher as a portion of the GDP and per capita, by a factor of a third to two or more, than in any other developed democracy (UN Development Programme, 2000, 2004).  The U.S. is therefore the least efficient western nation in terms of converting wealth into cultural and physical health. Understanding the reasons for this failure is urgent, and doing so requires considering the degree to which cause versus effect is responsible for the observed correlations between social conditions and religiosity versus secularism. It is therefore hoped that this initial look at a subject of pressing importance will inspire more extensive research on the subject. Pressing questions include the reasons, whether theistic or non-theistic, that the exceptionally wealthy U.S. is so inefficient that it is experiencing a much higher degree of societal distress than are less religious, less wealthy prosperous democracies. Conversely, how do the latter achieve superior societal health while having little in the way of the religious values or institutions? There is evidence that within the U.S. strong disparities in religious belief versus acceptance of evolution are correlated with similarly varying rates of societal dysfunction, the strongly theistic, anti-evolution south and mid-west having markedly worse homicide, mortality, STD, youth pregnancy, marital and related problems than the northeast where societal conditions, secularization, and acceptance of evolution approach European norms (Aral and Holmes; Beeghley, Doyle, 2002). It is the responsibility of the research community to address controversial issues and provide the information that the citizens of democracies need to chart their future courses.
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2011-2-14 15:44 | 显示全部楼层
expected
鲜花(0) 鸡蛋(0)
 楼主| 发表于 2011-2-18 20:10 | 显示全部楼层
唉!信上帝的社会真败坏。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-9-19 15:19 , Processed in 0.240083 second(s), 9 queries , Gzip On, APC On.